On the Tenth Anniversary of the Call for BDS
Could You Send the CT Treasurer an Email?
Ten years ago, on July 9, 2005 , scores of Palestinian groups asked us to fight Israeli oppression and killings by supporting Boycotts, Divestment and Sanctions. The movement is growing and winning. Last week the UCC church voted overwhelmingly for BDS . A few days ago activists in Britain and Australia shut down four Israeli weapons factories in their countries.
Connecticut has a $32 million dollar stake in Israeli oppression, $32 million in State of Israel Bonds and Israeli stocks.
Could you take a few minutes today to send an email to CT Treasurer Denise Nappier and call on her to sell off the Israeli stocks and bonds? Her email is email@example.com
and please send MECC a copy at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can tell how we're doing.
Don't worry that she doesn't know about the issue. Groups have been writing her since 2011.
You could take different approaches:
1. Talk about some of the horrific things Israel did in 2014 in the attack on Gaza, the killings of four boys on the beach, the wiping out of a score of families, the 500 children that were slaughtered, etc.
2. Explain that Israel won't allow in construction materials freely and of the 12,000 private homes destroyed by its bombs in 2014 not a single one has been rebuilt.
3. Talk about how Israel's laws and practices are racist. Mention South African apartheid. Nappier is African-American and should have some familiarity with the subject
4. Remind Nappier that she has sponsored a divestment law in CT dealing with atrocities by the government of Sudan.
5. Or talk about Israeli mistreatment of black Africanrefugees
and if you have the time join us at 6 p.m. Thurs. 7/9 at the corner of Washington St. and Main St. in Middletown as we hold out banners for a half hour before our meeting at the library at 123 Broad St.
Return to Home Page